Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Avocado Poke

Cheeeeeeeeeeeee Pono!

Hows about we go on a little taste vacation today, huh?  Today I'm taking you back to my little grass shack, in the middle of Oahu, Hawaii to introduce you to a local favorite called Poke.  Poke (pronounced po-kei) in Hawaiian literally means "slice" but usually refers to a seafood appetizer of some sort.

There are MANY different variations of poke so it can seem a little confusing but the main ingredient is your seafood.  Fish poke uses sliced raw fish, tako poke uses sliced octopus, mussel poke obviously uses mussels, etc.  You get it, right?  Good.

Anyway, today I'm sharing this variation with you:

Avocado Poke



Ingredients:

- 3/4 lbs. fresh tuna or salmon steak
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup green onion (chopped)
- Sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce

*You can add  other ingredients to this recipe (cucumber, red onion, seaweed, etc.) to make it your own.

Directions:

1.  Cut fish and avocado into bite-sized cubes.

2.  Combine fish, avocado, onions, pepper, sesame seeds, and salt in a large bowl.

3.  Add lemon juice, sesame oil, and soy sauce to the bowl and mix all the ingredients slowly, being careful not to mash the avocado.

4.  Cover and chill for about 15 minutes, then enjoy!  *Raw fish and avocado don't keep long, so don't store it too long or you may end up very sick.


-------------------------------------


Poke does not last long in our household because we are huge seafood lovers.  Well, with the exception of Chloe who doesn't care for any kind of seafood but shrimp.

Back home, we're lucky to be able to run down to Foodland, the local grocery store, and just pick up a tub of this without actually having to make it ourselves.  Ahh, lucky we live Hawaii...

Well, I hope you liked this little taste vacation!  Sorry it was such a short trip, but hey, at least you got a cool new dish to serve at your next BBQ!  That is, of course, if you haven't already eaten it all by yourself.

K denz.  Shooooooooots brah.


♥ Duckie.

17 comments:

  1. OMG, I love seafood and this dish looks soooo delicious!! (watering mouth)

    I have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have always wanted to try Poke. I saw some that looked reallly spicy, it look sooo good. Maybe when I go to Hawaii I will finally get some.

    great post!





    www.iampiscesw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious! The spicy poke is hot but ohh so good!

      Delete
  3. Looks great. Keep up the great work...

    Peace!...with 2 fingers;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum yum yum!!! I wish we got fresh ahi hear but of course NO. I miss me some good poke and beer on a friday night

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummmmm now I'm craving POKE!!

    I got lunch in a couple hours so I may have poke on the menu =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love (love love love LOVE!!!) avocado poke. I always buy mines at Foodland. I find the avocado's nuttiness gives the ahi a nice flavor. Very balanced in my opinion. Although, I love the avocado poke, my number 1 (all time) will always be spicy ahi poke. That's my weakness!

    Great recipe. I'm going to make some tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I like spicy ahi poke too but I'm a panty and can't handle too much spiciness. Haha.

      Delete
  7. OMG have to make this, sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Relly liking your blog! followed you, hope you can follow back :) http://xxxloveisbeautyxxx.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Avocado poke is my favorite!!! My mouth watered by just looking at it!
    Go girl) Hope you will check out my blog)
    Maybe we can follow each other)

    kisses

    http://adollwithoutstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just sooooo good!??

      Thanks for stopping by! Already following you! LOVE your blog!

      Delete
  10. That looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing!
    Found your blog through the GFC blog hop. I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds DELICIOUS.
    following from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Girrrl, I can eat avocado straight from the tree! Lol.

      Delete
  13. just found your cute blog through the GFC blog hop! am now following :) this recipe looks SO AMAZING :)

    excited to read more!

    xo
    erin

    sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love comments and meeting new bloggers so please feel free to say "Hi"!

I respond to every single comment either via Email or right here so please check back here if your email isn't linked to your comment!