Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tasty Tuesday + May Day + Homesick





Happy May Day everyone!  May 1st is known as May Day in Hawaii.  It is on this day that we honor the island culture and the beauty of spring by wearing leis and celebrating through dance and song.



A lei (pronounced lay) is a flower garland.  Leis are handmade with aloha (love), and given to loved ones on special occasions such as birthdays, graduation, congratulating, welcoming an arrival, or as a token of affection for someone departing the islands.


Back in my hana bada days (ha-nah bah-dah, meaning boogers - hana bada days refers to younger years when you couldn't wipe your nose properly.  i.e., snot-nosed kid), I remember how big of a deal May Day was.  All the elementary schools on island would put on a May Fest performance and we would also have a May Day court.  The May Day court consisted of a King and Queen, as well as Princes and Princesses to represent each Hawaiian island.  They would all perform a traditional hula to start the ceremony and then sit on a stage and overlook the rest of the performances.

Unfortunately I was never on the May Day court, but I still enjoyed the festivities every time.  It was always such a huge deal.  Parents, Grandparents, Uncles, Aunties, and other family members would take off from work all day to watch their kids performances.  There would be balloons, flowers, leis (of course), and lots of picture taking!  I had always dreamed of watching my own children partake in the May Day festivities, but sadly that day has yet to come since we don't live on island anymore (super sad face).

Anyway, in honor of May Day, here's a recipe for one of my FAVORITE desserts, Macadamia Nut Cream Pie.



Ingredients:

• 1-1/3 cup milk
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
• Dash salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 egg
• 5 teaspoon cornstarch
• 2 egg whites
• 1 9-inch baking pie shell
• 1 cup heavy cream, sweetened and whipped, or use a container of real whipped cream in a can

Directions:

1.  In a saucepan combine 1 cup of the milk, 1/4 cup of the sugar, 1/4 cup of the nuts, the salt and the vanilla; scald.

2.  Mix the remaining 1/3 cup milk with egg and cornstarch.

3.  Thoroughly stir some of the hot mixture into the egg mixture; return all to saucepan. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and then cool for 1 hour.

4.  Beat egg whites until soft peaks form then fold carefully into cooled mixture.

5.  Pour into pie shell and chill. Before serving top with sweetened whipped cream or can of whipped cream and remaining 1/4 cup nuts.

Tell me that doesn't look delicious and I'll tell you you're lying.  I could eat this for days.  Fo' Dayyyzzz.  It's a pretty light dessert so no need to worry about getting Kanaks (as in Kanack Attack, see post here) afterwards.

So anyway, obviously I'm totally missing home right now.  I miss my family, my friends, and the atmosphere.  If it were up to me, we'd all go back in a heartbeat - but that's not happening any time soon.  Sure my family is there, but we'd be going back with basically nothing.  No house of our own, no car, no jobs, etc.  As much as I'd love for my kids to grow up there along with all my friends and their kids, it would be extremely hard for us to give them a good quality life by having to start from scratch.  Maybe someday when the economy gets a little better and our bank accounts get a little bigger we'll be able to go back.  But for now we'll just have to wait.




Btw, every time I watch this video or sing this song I start to cry.  So yes, my eyes are tearing right now.

So what about you?  Do you still live where you grew up?  Do you miss home, or are you glad you left?


Oh, and before I forget, please vote for my newest blogging buddy Devon!  She is aspiring to become a professional surfer by joining the Roxy team so please vote for her HERE to make her dream come true!  You can vote once a day, every day until May 8th, so please spread the word!!

24 comments:

  1. OMG! I miss mayday! I was part of court a couple times. Super fun. I was scheduled to do a show tomorrow that I found out was being cancelled yesterday :-( BOOOOOOOO
    I'm going to try making that pie. Sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss it too! What show were you going to be in?

      Delete
  2. Macadamia Nut Cream Pie... YUM! I'm going to have to try this recipe, I'm afraid I will become addicted. It looks amazing!

    xo, Megan

    http://indieflower-meg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Try it! And please share your pictures with me so I can drool over them too! Lol.

      Delete
  3. Happy May Day! That pie looks so delicious! Thanks for your sweet comment. Your blog is so cute, I'm following back =)

    xoxo,
    Suzie Q
    Style Cue by Suzie Q
    $50 Gift card GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. No, thank YOU for reading and commenting. Lol.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for writing this -- I didn't have the wherewithal to compose such a quality post this year. I am going to refer my readers here to learn about what May Day is really about though -- not this ridiculous animalistic outbreak of angry protesting for such and such causes and everyone running amok in the city resulting in businesses closing for the day. SMH!

    PS: that song gets me every time -- I'm eyes are waterfalls right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! Yeah, I think that people really need to see an actual May Day performance in order to understand the importance and the beauty of it. There's just something about a Hawaiian chant that sends chills down my spine and that, mixed with the fragrance of a flower lei around my neck makes me appreciate the island even more.

      And hugs from me to you! Because we're both homesick crybabies...lol.

      Delete
  6. the pie looks delicious! I wish I have the talent in baking! :-) by the way your blog is cool!

    Babi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! And baking isn't so hard, just give it a try some day. ^_^

      Delete
  7. Hi lovely,
    I totally love this post!
    I just found your blog...it's so cute!!
    Would you like to follow each other?
    I'm starting and I'm following now on Google Friends Connect:)
    I hope you like my blog too!
    Have a great day:)
    Xoxo
    Mary
    Fashion tea at 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! Going to follow you back now!

      Delete
  8. OMG you joined the ROXY TEAM!? that's AWESOME!!! Let me know how that goes! and that pie looks DELICIOUS.

    (also please don't forget to update my button!)

    have a great day,
    CGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. No, I didn't join, a blogging buddy of mine, Devon, is trying to join the team. Please click the link above to vote for her!

      And yes, I'll update that right now. ^_^

      Delete
  9. Um, I'm still in Hawaii and that song gets me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

    No joke.

    I remember listening to that song when I went to college in San Diego. Definitely made home feel a bit closer =)

    I'm originally from Maui but living in Honolulu... I do miss Maui a lot but prefer the anonymity of living in a densely populated area. Weird, I know. But sometimes the small towns get to me. I love to visit and miss my family and friends a lot but I like going to the store and not running into anyone sometimes.

    But I can't complain at all... I'm a short island hop away from my home! At least Guam is an island, right? I know, I know... not the same!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol. I think that song affects anyone who lived in Hawaii. And yeah Guam is an island but totally not the same! The culture is totally different here, people are not as open minded as Hawaii so every little thing tends to be a big deal. And yeah, it is tiny so I everyone knows everyone and they all talk about each other. Lol. It's kind of funny because when I first moved here, my friends kept telling me rumors they heard about me. Most of them were not true and were heard from people I never even met! It was kind of entertaining though to hear - kind of like I was living a double life. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww bless you lovely Duckie! :-)

    I have some New Zealand songs that bring a tear to my eye too!
    I miss my country but wouldn't have the life I do now if I hadn't have moved, so it's a double edged sword I guess... it's hard that it's so far away too, why did I have to be born at the end of the world?? Hahaha!!

    Sending a big May Day hug your way!!
    Vanessa x
    www.what-vanessa-does.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! Being away from home does suck but sometimes the opportunities available to you are much better elsewhere. I know exactly how you feel. I even tried moving back home for a year but I didn't have any luck in finding the same job that I have here on Guam so I had to come back.

      Thank you for the hugs! Hugs to you too! I've always wanted to go to New Zealand. My bf went there one year for Baseball and he loved it!

      Delete
  12. Wow this pie looks amazing... now if i was only talented at baking. Im still going to have to try this out :) thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do! I'd love for you to try it out and tell me how you like it!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love comments and meeting new bloggers so please feel free to say "Hi"!

I respond to every single comment either via Email or right here so please check back here if your email isn't linked to your comment!