Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Fryophobia

Yes folks.  Today we're gonna talk about my fear of frying.  No, not flying, FRYING.

Hot Oil + Delicate Skin = Disaster.

I am terrified of being severely burned and having parts of my skin melt off like Freddy Krueger.  Dramatic?  Yes.  But I blame my fryophobia on TV and the media.

But despite my fryophobia I do LOVE to eat fried foods.  Chicken, potatoes, fish, pickles, ice cream...just batter it up and drop it in a pot of grease, please!  And because I'm cheap I do end up frying my own food once in a while.  With glasses and a longsleeve, standing 3 feet away from the stove, holding the longest pair of tongs we have, trying to flip a piece of chicken.



Ingredients:

- Chicken
- Oil
- Seasoning
- Flour

Directions:

1.  Season and mix your chicken in a bowl.

2.  Once your chicken is seasoned, you have two options.  You could (a) fry it as is or (b) coat it with flour and then fry.  *Flour makes it crunchier but also greasier.  If you opt for flour, you could also mix a little extra seasonings with your flour for added flavor.

3.  Pour oil in pan.  Make sure you put enough to cover at least half the chicken and turn your stove to medium-high. *Be sure to keep an eye on the oil!  If it is too hot, the outside of your chicken will burn while the inside will still be raw.

4.  Dip your fingertips in a little water and flick it into the pan (and stand far away).  If the water droplets pop right away, your oil is ready.

5.  Slowly and carefully add your chicken to the pan and reduce the heat a little to medium/medium-low and cook for about 25 minutes, turning about every 5 minutes or so.

6.  Make sure your chicken is cooked thoroughly (poke it and make sure it drains clear - no blood) and place over paper bags or paper towels to cool.  *Paper bags/towels will absorb any excess oil


This recipe can be kind of a doozy.  The key to it is to keep an eye on the temperature of your oil.  Because not every stove distributes the same amount of heat, it is best to test it out on one piece of chicken first to make sure your heat is at the right temperature.

Also, and most importantly, be careful with the oil!  I've had quite a few incidents where I accidentally dropped the chicken and oil splattered all over the stove top {and once caused a small fire}.

Don't judge me.

Anyway, the reason I posted this recipe is because that's what I made for dinner last night.  Late last night.  Like after 10pm.  And I also whipped up a batch of mashed potatoes from scratch because I was too lazy to wash the rice pot and cook rice.  You know, because making rice is SO hard.  That was sarcasm if you didn't know.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of dinner last night because (1) Joey kept stealing food while I was still cooking the rest and (2) like I'm really going to get close enough to that pan full of oil to take pictures of it.

Happy frying!

♥ Duckie.

22 comments:

  1. it will be yummy!!! thanks for sharing<3
    btw mind to fllw each other?
    jessillesilv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Checking out your blog now!

      Delete
  2. Looks so good.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. look so deliciouuusss!
    i have no fryingpan phobia, i just a good laaazzzyyy ass in kitchen area, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yeah, I was too lazy to cook rice so I made mashed potatoes from scratch instead. I don't know where the logic in that idea was, but at least it tasted good.

      Delete
  4. thats so funny! im totally about the 'longest pair of tongs' possible when frying too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? If I I can't find the long tongs I do have a backup plan though: Use the pan cover as a shield. At least that way you can get close to the pan without burning your face. Then angle the cover over the pan so you can turn your chicken without oil splattering everywhere. Lol.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha... I totally suffer from fryophobia! I think as far as I go is making scrambled eggs, or stir fry veggies, and I rarely use oil, even when i stir fry veggies, I don'use it, or use very very little. So whenever I do have fried food, is when I eat out, which is something I'm trying hard not to do, to cut on calories (I still think I can down a few sizes *yes, dreaming* lol).

    But I do love chicken, soy sauce and a bit of honey yum yum and veggies, I can't wait to go back to normal eating, being sick is killing me! white rice or noodles is it so not tasty and boring :(

    I have a new video tag in the making by the way, got up at 5 am to upload it on youtube, but it took forever and had to leave for lectures, but I'll get it done when I go home tonight xx :)


    pinkgoldenlights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah I never used to fry before but Joey's mom's specialty is her fried chicken so I just had to learn how.

      Delete
  6. I heart ALL fried food! And too funny...we had fried chicken last night too...with rice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Hooray for fried food. I really want to get one of those fryers so I can make my own french fries and onion rings...but...I'd probably be obese with high cholesterol by the end of the year. Lol.

      Delete
  7. I am the same way about frying things. sooooo terrified of being scalded!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl I feel you on this one! Everytime I make bacon it's like a war zone by the pan! But it tastes SO GOOD it's worth the risk! Just found your blog and have loved getting to know you better. You're adorable and I'm excited to follow along!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fryophobia? that's a good one. I can tell you from experience ... hot oil burns do not quit. Did that once while working at a fast food kitchen. Splashed french fry oil all over my arm. Yikes! An ugly site.

    But now I don't cook....hey...I'm gonna use that on my husband. I don't cook because I had this terrible hot fry oil trauma when I was a teenager. It's just too painful a memory so I can't go in the kitchen.

    What do ya think? Yeah...he's not gonna buy it. Who cares. Believe this...I actually have a rice cooker. Gazinga.

    becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg! That is exactly the reason why I'm terrified of frying things! I've heard so many traumatizing stories and I don't want that to happen to me.

      And yes, you should definitely use your story to have your husband cook for you. I would. Heck, I'd use that story as an excuse for my shopping addiction. "Honey, I can't help my addiction. The burn on my pinky is just so horrible that it makes me feel ugly. I buy expensive clothes to compensate for it." Hahaha.

      Come to think of it, I did get burned once on my...I think it's still considered my chest? The part between the boobs? Anyway, I got burned there by a brownie pan (naked baking - not my best idea) so I could use that as my own traumatic event. Lol.

      See what you started?

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much! I just entered and followed you back!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love comments and meeting new bloggers so please feel free to say "Hi"!

I respond to every single comment either via Email or right here so please check back here if your email isn't linked to your comment!